Thursday, May 14, 2009

Don't Mess with Texas!

We finally made it to Texas yesterday! We've been through FL, AL, MS, LA and we've had quite an adventure along the way. For starters, the headwinds are brutal and that is all I have to say about that! We have had a few crashes (and some near crashes), lots of flat tires and have gotten lost here and there. We have endured thunder and heavy rain, bridges, debris, gravel roads, dirt roads, grass roads, bonking, being chased by a dog, very STINKY clothes and some interesting (but friendly) people. We are burning a ton of calories and eating a ton of food :-) As of yesterday, we have cycled 1095 total miles. We rode 6 hours & 45 minutes for the 1st day in TX. The you know what (the dreaded "HWs") off and on all day with a 27 mile stretch of probably 20 miles per hour straight at us!
The good news is that we are getting stronger every day and are loving every minute (well, almost every minute) of our "Epic" adventure. I appreciate everyone's tweets and blog comments. It keeps me motivated and connected to my Gentle Dental friends and family.

12 comments:

  1. Ron, what an incredible journey! Dr. Steiner, our periodontist wishes you windless days and smooth roads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ron,

    Don't forget to hit the west border of Texas at 42 hours exactly so that I can win the Blue Bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm, no Mr. Orthorunner, its 49 hours, thank you very much. Blue Bucks will not buy the burgers you promised me and Ronda long ago! Shoot for 49 Milla, lie if you have to, I wont care :) Wilkes, Stacey K and Teena say hello, wish you the best, claim to miss you (I dont believe it myself). Stacey asked if she should send some more of that cream to San Diego :) We love you! Dont come back too-too petite, I dont need more ammo against you! I better get a shot-glass for every state, think walmart should carry them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cool bike journey for sure. In Texas and moving west at warp speed. Way to go Mike and Ron. Stay focused and driven. Each day makes you stronger both in your mind and body. Enjoy the adventure, take lots of photos, because it will soon be over faster than you think......Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ron,
    Jennifer Joy is having computer difficulties and wanted me to let you know that she misses you and your singing at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron

    This may be a silly question--but--are you allowed to ride on the freeway? do you have to get special permission or what? I am sure glad that it is you out there and not me! this weekend the temp will be around 100 degrees! Get ready for the heat of Arizona. Lynnette

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ronda- Glass is half full, youre finally getting clean. Heard livestock was dying all along your route so think the Big Guy upstairs has a hand in all that weather. Tell Mike I said hello, that I feel for him, having to put up with you like that. Happy Riding, glad you find all this inspirational! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, soory I haven't written you. Dr. Mike just showed me how. I had to work with him yesterday and today. Don't you feel sorry for me!!! He still says you smell. He told me to write that. Well I hope you are having a good time and your butt is not to sore. See you soon. Tell Mike Hi.

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Ron,

    Texas is a great place?! Hey, my grandson is almost as tall as you, now (and way better looking!). Days here without you are hectic with hygiene at full speed. Hurry home, but ride safely. I am trying to get all of your patients to blog you.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi R and M: Am praying for you boys. Be good, have fun and come home in one piece. love, Marie

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi boys--be good, have fun and come home in one piece. am praying for you. love, marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dr. Ron,

    I'm connected to Texas through Family. Having driven across it many times I can attest to the beauty you will experience. Wishing you well. Have a WHATABURGER for me, a Triple with cheese, that will give you a calorie boost. Taco Cabana is good too. Dylan Says Hi. The place just isn't the same without you. Ride safe.

    David, Mutsumi and Dylan

    ReplyDelete